ABOUT RACHEL     YOUTUBE     TWITTER     FACEBOOK     LOOKBOOK     BLOGLOVIN'     PINTEREST

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Healthy Chicken Meatballs

I have been requested to put up this recipe since dawning of time (ok I exaggerate).  But seriously, this is a great recipe full that's much lighter than its beefy cousin.  Test it out and let me know if you like it!

And if you're looking for more tasty (and healthy) recipes go here

Chicken/Turkey/Tofurky Meatballs
Adapted from Rachael Ray's Recipe
Makes ~20 small meatballs, depending on the size you make them


1 1/2 pounds ground chicken or turkey or tofurky

1 tablespoon of Grill-Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning

1 large egg

1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (try asaigo instead!  A stronger cheese means you need less of it!)

1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs (toast 2 pieces of whole wheat bread and lay it out overnight, then break apart in a blender)

Handful of chopped parsley leaves (fresh is best but if you only have dry, then 1-2tsp is fine)

1 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil

1-2 tsp of garlic (I get the jarred kind that's already cut up for me!)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Grease a baking sheet very lightly with a spray olive oil (I make my own by filling a sprayer with olive oil)


First beat the egg in the bowl (just quickly, don't overbeat) then pile in all the ingredients.  Squish together with your hands so all the ingredients get incorporated.  (Yes, squish is the official term here).  Be careful not to overmix this - otherwise the meat will toughen.  Just mix enough so everything looks combined.  Now take a section and form into a meatball.  Place on the lightly sprayed pan and repeat until you've done all the meatballs.  You can flatten them a bit like mini oval meatloaves so they don't roll away. Bake the meatballs 15 minutes until golden and firm.

Try this trick:  Place your thumb and index finger together and take your other hand and feel the flesh underneath the inside of your thumb.  Feel how firm it is?  If you press lightly on the meatball, it should give the same firmness.  If you want them to be crispier on the outside, switch the broiler on and let them crisp for 5 minutes.

2 comments:

AJ said...

Hey! I just made these and they were delish :)
I put them in meatball subs with marinara sauce
yummm ;)

Check out my channel and vids if you get a chance. I have followed you for a while (since before I got a youtube account of my own)

http://youtube.com/cottoncandy064

I love all your videos.

XOXO

babyskiffie said...

ahhh will make them maybe with chicken.
tad impossible to find a decent turkey down here.

xoxo
http://babyskiffie.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...