ABOUT RACHEL     YOUTUBE     TWITTER     FACEBOOK     LOOKBOOK     BLOGLOVIN'     PINTEREST

Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Ugly Side of Beauty

I recently mae a video talking about my favourite products for August, when a subscriber told me about a website that indicated that my mascara of choice is rated extremely high on the toxicity scale.  At first I was skeptical; there are a lot of websites out there claiming a lot of things and many of them don't have the research to back it up.  I checked out the website anyway and was quite surprised.  They utilize the research and product information from industry standard materials and provide everything to the public for free.  You can learn more about them here: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

So I decided to go through all the products I use on a regular basis and see how badly I'm poisoning my body:


(0 = not toxic, 10 = extremely toxic)

Foundation
Make Up For Ever Mat Powder: 7
(Wasn't listed, but linked the Mat Velvet Plus which I'm sure is similar)
Concealer
Clinique All About Eyes: N/A
Blush
NARS Orgasm: 7
Bronzer
E.L.F Mineral Bronzer: 2
Eye Primer
E.L.F Mineral Eye Primer: N/A
Eyeshadow
L'Oreal Wear Infinite Quad: 7
Urban Decay Ammo Palette: 5
Eyeliner
Wet N' Wild Idol Eyes: 4
Mascara
Cover Girl Lash Blash Luxe: 9
Lipgloss
Bare Escentuals Buxon Lips: 5
Blistex Fruit Smoothies: 7

What did I learn? A lot of the products I use are very high on the toxicity scale.  I am passionate about eating healthily, why am I not following the same rules when it comes to my cosmetics?  I am going to browse their website and see what products I should be buying. 

How did you girls do when you looked at your makeup?  What healthy brands do you recommend?

7 comments:

Jenn from Much to My Delight said...

That's interesting that one of the cheapest brands on the market, Wet & Wild, fares better than some of the pricier department store brands. This is the kind of thing I (embarrassingly) rarely pay attention to and probably should.

Meg said...

Wow...thank you so much for posting this website! I have been passionate about natural cosmetics and beauty products (like Burts Bees) for a while, but I find it is hard to stick to the healthy road when you are on a student budget! I think this website will at least help with the research side of things.
love your fellow Canadian,
Meg
http://sunkissedplumeria.blogspot.com

Therese said...

this is the most depressing to me. im obsessed with OPI nail polish

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/company/OPI_Products/

mlou21 said...

Urban Decay is all vegan-made makeup!

Jordynlbc said...

I am a big fan of Origins make up and I'm not sure what you use for your skin care routine but all of my products for that are pretty low in toxicity. The only thing listed on there that is high is this super charged moisturizer that I never use however I have a feeling most of the makeup that I use from there is low as well. Also Origins makes great products!

Anonymous said...

hey rachel i know i already sent you a comment on youtube about arbonne cosmetics but after reading this blog post i just wanted to remind you about these products. They are absolutely fabulous and one hundred percent all natural made from botanicals that are good for your skin. no horrible chemicals that seep into your skin and bonus they are actually great products. my fav is the primer which feels like silk :D

Anonymous said...

O.M.G. This literally scared me to death. The thing is, the website really didn't have much date per product. Almost every item on there said "Limited data". The products could be better or worse than this website says. Holy heck that's scary!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...